- Students are granted entrance to St. Mary’s Grade School through Kindergarten screening. The Brigance is administered prior to enrollment in Preschool/Kindergarten. The Brigance consists of three basic sections: SPEECH, COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT, and MOTOR DEVELOPMENT.
- Students seeking entrance to SMS in grades 1 through 6 are required to take an entrance exam prior to admittance. We also require submission of a current report card and a copy of standardized test scores.
- Under registration of the West Virginia Department of Health, all children attending school are required to provide proof of having received the following immunizations: Polio, Rubella, Rubella-Diphtheria, Whooping Cough, Tetanus and HIB.
- They must also have a Vision, Speech, and Hearing test which is administered by the Harrison County School’s Health Nurses. All new students entering ANY GRADE from out of state must also have these tests.
- State law requires all entering students to present a State-Certified Birth Certificate from the state of birth. County certified and hospital birth certificates are not acceptable.
- At this time, St. Mary’s Grade School does not have facilities or services for Special Education, Learning Disorder, and Behavior Disorder programs.
Extended Care: 11:00 – 2:15
- (available for Preschool & Pre-K students)
Keepers (After School Care): 2:15 – 5:15
All Catholic families requesting Tuition Assistance from the Diocese and/or their Parishes must complete the online TAPS application by the required date of August 15, 2020 for Phase II. Diocesan assistance is not available to Non-Catholic families.
Saint Mary’s emphasizes not only academic excellence, but the nurturing of spiritual and moral growth. Our students participate in a variety of religious activities throughout the school year to further enhance their religious growth.
Our day begins and ends with school-wide prayer in the main hallway. Our morning prayer includes a reading from the Gospel, Special Intentions, liturgical seasons, and liturgical music.
In addition to weekly Mass, our students participate in All-School masses that include our adjoining high school, Notre Dame, where SMS Choir leads the congregation in song.
Each December, our students participate in a Christmas performance centering on Christ’s birth.
During Lent, each student is assigned a ‘Prayer Pal’ for whom they will pray for. The students also make inspirational cards for their Prayer Pal to remind them they are being prayed for as they travel their Lenten journey.
There are several athletic programs available to 6th graders at SMS. Questions: Please call Athletic Director Steve Petitto or Asst. Atheletic Director Claudine Rogers at 304-623-1026
After School Clubs
- SMS Student Council
- Cub Scouts/ Boy Scouts
School-wide events and activities are held throughout the year at St. Mary’s Grade School as we celebrate seasonal festivities and functions. These events are held during and after school. They include the following:
- Red Ribbon Week
- Race for Education
- International Week and Feast
- Christmas Performance
- Santa Shop
- Lessons in Carols
- Catholic Schools Week
- Advent Concert
- Annual Spring Play
- Kindergarten Graduation
- SMS Variety Show
- Sixth Grade Graduation
2020-21 DIOCESAN TUITION ASSISTANCE PROCESS IS OPEN
For the 29th consecutive year, the Diocesan Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is striving to keep Catholic school education affordable for Catholic families who desire it for their children but may need some financial assistance to make that dream a reality. Thanks to the ongoing and genuine commitment of the Catholic schools in our Diocese, funds have once again been allocated for distribution to Catholic families in need of financial assistance.
Applying for TAP through FACTS is easy and affordable. You are encouraged to apply if your child is already enrolled or has been accepted by one of the Catholic schools in the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston for the 2020-21 school year.
Who is eligible? Any Catholic student accepted for the 2020-21 school year in any Diocesan Catholic school (PK- grade 12) and who belong to a parish included on the drop-down list on the application is eligible. Determinations are based upon a family’s degree of need relative to all other applicants.
How do I apply? Applications are online. Go to www.factsmgt.com and log in, or create a new account if you are a new user.
Cost? The application fee is $30. The Diocese will pay $15.00 and families pay the other $15.00.
Grants: Diocesan grants for families who have completed their applications and show financial need will receive up to 50% of the child’s tuition.
Phase I: Deadline is April 30, 2020
In order to receive notification in late May, applications (including all required documentation and payment of the fee) are to be received by FACTS by April 30, 2020 Phase I is intended for families with children currently enrolled or already accepted for the 2020-21 school year in any Diocesan Catholic school.
Phase II: Deadline is August 15, 2020
In order to receive notification in late August, all applications for 2020-21 (including all required documentation and payment of the fee) MUST be RECEIVED by FACTS no later than August 15, 2020. This is a firm deadline. Phase II is intended for families new to the school or who have had a life-changing event (birth, death, loss of job) occur. If an application was submitted during Phase I, please contact the school – DO NOT submit a second application.
Note 1: No assistance will be available from the Diocese or from any school unless:
- an application is completed in full (ALL questions answered) and submitted
- all required documentation is provided, AND
- the family portion ($15.00) of the application fee is paid by the deadline.
Note 2: ONLY ONE APPLICATION PER FAMILY should be submitted per school year. If you made an error or had a life event change, please do NOT submit a second application. Contact your school representative and your application can be updated by FACTS.
Questions? If you have questions, please contact the St. Mary’s office at 304-622-9831.